Students submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for certain types of federal financial aid (including need-based grants, student loans, and work study) and financial aid from the State of Indiana and IU for students with financial need. This report shows the percentage of IU students at all levels who file a FAFSA, along with various student attributes, regardless of whether they received financial aid. This report also shows typical amounts of unmet financial need** for selected populations and student attributes.
Student Attributes in this report include . . .
- Student residency status
- Sex, ethnicity and age
- First generation status and SAT/ACT test score
- Financial aid dependency status, Pell Grant status and family income
- Students in an online academic plan (major)
- Students in a Gainful Employment major (leading to a certificate or diploma that has met minimum thresholds with respect to the debt-to-income rates of their graduates)
Use this Report if . . .
- You need the percentage of FAFSA filers with a certain student attribute.
- You need the trends in percentages of FAFSA filers with a certain student attribute.
- You need the average, median, or 25th or 75th percentile unmet financial need amounts for a selected population.
** Unmet financial need is the portion of a student's financial need amount for the academic year (fall + spring terms only) that exceeds the student's gift aid amounts (scholarships, fellowships, and fee remissions), educational loan amounts for students with financial need, and work study amounts at a particular campus. This is used to calculate the "percentage of need met" for external reporting to publishers, based on guidelines from the Common Data Set. It is also used by campus financial aid offices and institutional researchers to identify students who may benefit from additional financial aid, or who may be at risk of not returning to school or graduating due to their financial circumstances.
Note that this report only includes students who were enrolled or received a degree. Also, the calculations of unmet need exclude most federal CARES Act funding as well as IU-funded COVID-19-related refunds of institutional charges. See the IR Data Guide on this for IU Staff with more information.
(Requires IU Staff login - Learn about IU Login)