Each year, IU reports the estimated typical full-time undergraduate costs per academic year (fall + spring) without financial aid to the federal Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). This report includes typical full-time costs for both undergraduate and graduate students (excluding students in professional practice programs.)
These estimates include the following categories:
- Tuition and required fees for undergraduates with 30 academic units (credit hours) of enrollment, or graduate students with 24 academic units of enrollment.
- Estimated typical costs for books and supplies.
- Estimated typical room and board costs for students living with parents, off-campus and not with parents, and on-campus (for campuses with on-campus housing).
- Estimated minimum costs for local transportation.
- Estimated minimum costs for personal expenses (examples: clothing, personal up-keep, grooming aids, and recreation).
Note that students’ actual costs may vary from the typical figures in this report. IU offers an online tool to help students more closely estimate their own expenses.